AIDT at the Maritime Training Center in Mobile, AL is seeking applicants for a full-time Structural Fitter / Welding Class Instructor.
$57,888 – $75,845
ANNOUNCEMENT DATE: January 13, 2023
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 3, 2023
PROJECTED START DATE: March 1, 2023
All resumes (mailed or electronic) must be received no later than 1:00 p.m. on February 3, 2023, to be considered.
This is a full-time salaried position with AIDT. A person in this position must be able to design, develop, coordinate, and instruct technical structural fitter (shipfitting) and welding training classes. Ability to work DAY SHIFT (6 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) or NIGHT SHIFT (12 noon– 10:30 p.m.) based on program needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and instruct NCCER Core and NCCER Structural fitter and Welding training classes, including math, measurement, and blue print reading.
- Explain and demonstrate FCAW, GMAW, GTAW, oxyfuel cutting, and SMAW processes.
- Administer online, written, and practical examinations to trainees in numerous/different skill areas.
- Design, develop, and construct training aides for numerous skill areas.
- Evaluate, report, and make recommendations on trainee progress.
- Fill in for other instructors as needed.
- Assist with scheduling, training, and supervising part-time instructors.
- Follow NCCER guidelines at all times in order to maintain the integrity of the program and confidentiality of the test contents.
- Prepare and submit NCCER Performance Profiles accurately and in a timely manner for each module.
- Review NCCER paperwork submitted by part-time instructors to ensure accuracy.
- Monitor, track, and stock fitting/welding supplies, consumables, and PPE to ensure that an adequate/appropriate amount is available to support class size.
- Perform routine maintenance on structural fitting and welding equipment.
- Conduct facility tours for schools, companies, and individuals as needed.
- Attend job/career fairs as needed.
- Prepare and deliver oral and written presentations in areas of expertise.
- Assist other AIDT departments and projects with support or expertise.
- Perform other work-related duties and accept special projects as assigned.
- Plan daily/weekly work schedule with minimum supervision.
- Perform duties with considerable independence and decision-making authority.
- Comply with all policies and procedures regarding punctuality, attendance, and workplace ethics.
- Communicate professionally with staff, company representatives, government officials, and the general public.
- Coordinate and account for AIDT resources within assigned area(s) of responsibility.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to understand and follow directions received from management staff.
- Ability to comply with all pertinent safety, environmental and other local, state, and federal laws and regulations.
- Ability to effectively present technical information to groups in a classroom or lab environment.
- Ability to comply with AIDT policy regarding attendance. (Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.)
- Ability to learn internal AIDT processes and job-specific systems.
- Ability to function in an automated work environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently and function in a team-based environment.
- Ability to interact professionally with company representatives, public officials, trainees, co-workers, and the general public.
- Ability to set and meet deadlines and handle multiple projects concurrently.
- Ability to follow established laws, policies, and procedures.
- Comprehend technical literature and processes.
- Knowledge of technical trends pertaining to new technologies.
Minimum Education/Work Experience Requirements
Associate degree and minimum five (5) years industry experience in structural fitting and welding and one year supervisory and/or teaching experience OR high school diploma/GED and a minimum of six (6) years industry experience in structural fitting and welding and one year supervisory and/or instructor experience.
- Certified NCCER Core Curriculum instructor.
- Certified NCCER Maritime Structural Fitter instructor.
- Certified NCCER Welding instructor.
- Certified operator of aerial lift, counterbalanced forklift, rough terrain forklift, overhead crane.
- CNC Plasma table operator.
- AWS Certification(s)
- Must complete mandatory NCCER Craft Instructor training upon acceptance of employment, if not already certified as an NCCER Craft Instructor.
Other Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Must pass SMAW & FCAW vertical and overhead fillet break test using 6011 and 7018 electrode and FCAW tacker test.
- Must be proficient in burning, washing, and edge prepping using hand and automated equipment.
- Must be able to demonstrate the safe and effective use of craft related tools and equipment, i.e., tract burner, overhead crane, 50-ton jacks, and large fairing tools.
- Must perform burning and fitting operations using standard ship-fitting equipment to accomplish fabrication.
- Must proficiently accomplish fabrication and repair assignments from verbal instructions, blue prints, sketches, and diagrams.
- Must be able to compute weights of plate and material estimate.
- Must be able to rig plates with equipment safely.
- Must have knowledge of shipyard terminology such as general ship and vessel layout.
- Must have knowledge of edge prep and weld joint design.
- Must have operational knowledge of shipyard equipment used in day-to-day craft operation.
- Must have the ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in US standard and metric.
- Must have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Must be able to deal with problems that may arise.
Salary and General:
Initial placement will be based on experience and education applicable to the T3L salary schedule, within a range of $57,888 – $75,845. Paid monthly. Excellent benefits package included.
Criminal Background Check:
In accordance with AIDT policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a Criminal Background Check consent form and to submit a nonrefundable $25.61payment for the cost of the criminal background check. (Note: $25.61 fee is based on possession of an Alabama Driver License. The fee for the background check may be more or less if the driver’s license is not an Alabama license.) Permanent employment will be contingent upon the results of the criminal background check.
Resumes received by mail or email after 1:00 p.m. on February 3, 2023, will not be considered for review. Interviews are by appointment only. If selected for an interview, applicants will be notified by email and must travel at their own expense to the interview site. Male applicants between the ages of 18-26 must provide proof of Selective Service Registration when requested. Employment references may be requested during the application process.
Resumes will be accepted by email at SFWInst@aidt.edu
Resumes will also be accepted by mail to the name/address below:
STRUCTURAL FITTER/WELDING CLASS INSTRUCTOR
ATTN: REGINALD TAYLOR
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS/HR
One Technology Court
Montgomery, AL 36116
AIDT is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of AIDT that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, disability, gender, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. AIDT will make reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants or employees with a disability. AIDT reserves the rights to withdraw, modify, or extend this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding of the position.
AIDT participates in E-Verify, a Federal law that requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.