The Alabama Department of Commerce / AIDT, located in Region 3 (West AlabamaWorks!), is seeking a full-time Regional Workforce Council Liaison – Region 3.
ANNOUNCEMENT DATE: May 1, 2020
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 22, 2020
PROJECTED START DATE: July 1, 2020
Resumes must be received no later than 1:00 p.m. May 22, 2020, to be considered.
The Regional Workforce Council Liaison is responsible for assisting the West Alabama Works Regional Workforce Council 3, in all functions related to workforce development primarily in this region, and in other unassigned regions when required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Act as workforce development ambassador for assigned region(s) of the state and facilitates communication between local business and industry representatives, and the assigned Regional Workforce Council (RWC).
- Maintain a direct line of communication with the Deputy Secretary of Commerce for Workforce Development and the Director of the Regional Workforce Councils in workforce and economic development matters as they relate to the RWC, Alabama Career Centers, area chambers of commerce, economic development associations, mayors, Alabama Community Colleges, K-12 superintendents, local business and industry, etc., to assess both current and projected regional workforce development training needs.
- Responsible for observing active workforce training programs funded with state and federal funds to ensure satisfactory progress and reporting is being achieved, and in compliance with the appropriate authorization document.
- Make recommendations and assist RWC Chairs, community colleges, universities, K-12 schools, and other training providers regarding current workforce development programs, policies and procedures, and assists in the implementation of programmatic changes and/or new initiatives.
- Conduct visits in person and/or by telephone to gather information and data to perform employer need surveys and assessments.
- Provide technical assistance to RWC Chairs, Executive Directors and fiscal/administrative agents for the RWC as part of a continuous improvement model. Assistance may include but not limited to, help them in achieving the accountability objectives, career fair and trade show strategies, sharing public/private best practices, etc.
- Assist RWCs in the development and implementation of their Regional Strategic Plans.
- Schedule in advance and notify the organization and Department of Commerce of upcoming visits and criteria relevant to the visit.
- Create a record of conversations and meetings that are relevant to the RWCs and inform the Director of Regional Workforce Council of positive and negative findings, concerns, support requested and/or required, and post them to the AIDT Portal, including assessments of risks, where applicable.
- Maintain a system for receiving requests for identified training needs, assistance, scheduled date for providing requested assistance, services provided, etc., and forward to the Director of Regional Workforce Councils.
- Meet with prospective out of state and local business, industry, and economic developers to evaluate skills and training needs.
- Arrange for visiting local businesses and conducting tours to establish a thorough understanding of their specific training needs.
- Coordinate the specific training needs of business and industry with workforce development entities – ACCS/ATN/Community Colleges/AIDT, etc.
- Represent the Deputy Secretary and Director of Regional Workforce Councils in town hall meetings, regional council meetings, and other meetings where workforce development representation is requested or required.
- Assist business and industry as well as training providers in identifying external funding sources to support training needs and provide guidance throughout the application process.
- Communicate with appropriate training providers, career coaches, etc., regarding current and future workforce development plans and needs. Inform the respective RWC Chair(s) and Executive Committee of the relevant plans and needs identified.
- Provide coordination for K12-Career Technical Centers and ACCS institutions regarding program development, as required, and remain abreast of state and local K12 directives and ACCS initiatives, etc., and report program status/pending changes to Deputy Secretary and Director of Regional Workforce Councils.
- Compose letters, memorandums, routine correspondence, and requests for individual travel and travel reimbursement.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Accept special projects, and perform other work-related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Communicate with staff, company representatives, government officials, and the general public.
- Contribute to and extract from the information flow of the Institute using automated tools.
- Plan daily/weekly work schedule with approval of supervisor.
- Account for AIDT and/or Commerce resources within assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of generally accepted office practices and processes.
- Skilled in reading, writing, spelling, punctuating, and editing of work.
- Ability to understand and follow directions received from a diverse technical and management staff.
- Ability to learn internal AIDT/Commerce processes and job specific systems.
- Ability to function in an automated work environment using computer systems, copiers, electronic mail, and telephone systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently or with supervision.
- Ability to interact professionally with company representatives, public officials, trainees, coworkers, and the general public.
- Ability to meet deadlines and handle multiple administrative functions concurrently.
- Ability to follow established laws, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to work in a constant state of awareness.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
AIDT Policy Manual minimum qualifications for Salary Schedule C3M are: Minimum three years experience in appropriate area of specialization or Baccalaureate Degree from a duly accredited institution required; or two-year degree in area of specialization and two years industry or industrial training experience in area of specialization.
Criminal Background Check:
The applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a Criminal Background Check consent form and to submit a nonrefundable $25.00 payment for the cost of the criminal background check. (Note: $25.00 fee is based on possession of an Alabama Driver’s License. The fee for the background check may be more or less if the driver’s license is not an Alabama license.) Permanent employment will be contingent upon the results of the criminal background check.
Salary and General:
Initial placement will be based on experience and education applicable to the C3M salary schedule, within a range of $56,325 – $ 80,898. Paid monthly. Excellent benefits package included.
Resumes received after 1:00 p.m. on May 22, 2020, will not be considered for review.
Interviews are by appointment only. If selected for an interview, applicants must travel at their own expense to the interview site. Male applicants between the ages of 18-26 must provide proof of Selective Service Registration when requested. Employment references may be requested during the application process.
Electronic, faxed, and hand-delivered resumes WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Resumes MUST BE MAILED to the name/address as shown below:
REGIONAL WORKFORCE COUNCIL LIAISON-REGION 3
ATTN: REGINALD TAYLOR
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS/HR
One Technology Court
Montgomery, AL 36116
AIDT is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of AIDT that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, disability, gender, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. AIDT will make reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants or employees with a disability. AIDT reserves the rights to withdraw, modify, or extend this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding of the position.
AIDT participates in E-Verify, a Federal law that requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.