“Partnership Between State Agencies Promotes Importance of School Attendance and Awareness”
Join us in celebrating Alabama School Attendance Awareness Month 2019! This exciting two-month awareness event is being held August 1 until September 30.
Several Alabama schools have developed fun activities to increase student attendance.
Nationally, suspensions and excessive absences have been shown to lower classroom proficiency. Our school attendance celebration is focused on increasing school attendance!
Interesting Facts About School Attendance
There is a Difference Between Truancy and Chronic Absence
- Truancy only counts “unexcused” absences.
- Chronic Absence counts all absences – excused, unexcused, and suspensions.
- Truancy only emphasizes compliance with school rules.
- Chronic Absence emphasizes the academic impact of missed school days.
- Truancy relies on legal administrative solutions.
- Chronic Absence uses community-based strategies to attain positive outcomes.
Excellent attendance programs can be found throughout our state, including these innovative local initiatives:
- Alabaster City Schools – School Social Workers and Report Card Conferencing
- Hoover City Schools – Truancy Prevention Program
- Madison County Schools – Code of Conduct Strategies and School Social Workers
- Dallas County Schools – Attendance Manual – Fair and Equitable Procedures
- Jackson County Schools – Attendance and Student Mentoring Program
To learn more about the 2019 Alabama School Attendance Awareness Month celebration, contact Alabama State Department of Education Administrator Kay Warfield at 334-694-4724, or ALSDE Education Specialist Kanetra Germany at kgermany@ALSDE.edu