Web Applications Developer
AIDT has locations across the state. This position may be based in Montgomery, Fairfield, or Huntsville, Alabama. Base worksite is negotiable based on residency.
September 16, 2013
October 9, 2013
PROJECTED START DATE:
(Applications must be received on or before October 9, 2013, to be considered.)
Designs and develops dynamic web applications in support of AIDT processes. Uses modern open-source development tools and agile techniques to develop and maintain web-based systems. Applies analytical skills, is self-directed, has a strong team ethic, and pays close attention to details. Works cooperatively with staff to develop and support computing services and business processes. Interacts in a positive and professional manner with end users. After-hours work will be required occasionally for system maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities
Applications Design, Development, Delivery and Maintenance:
• Use agile development techniques to ensure code quality and meet customer needs.
• Use source code management tools such as Git or Subversion, to manage production code releases and
collaboratively develop software.
• Install, configure, secure and support SQL databases such as PostgreSQL.
• Meet with AIDT management and staff to discuss requirements and recommend possible solutions for AIDT’s
• Ensure that AIDT’s software follows state and federal guidelines and regulations, such as securing sensitive data.
• Document code appropriately and maintain system documentation for end-users.
• Provide customer service, including end-user support, training, trouble-shooting and problem-solving, for web-based applications and supporting tools.
• Communicate with users of custom applications, to gather feedback and suggestions for improvement.
• Interact with vendors to obtain product information.
• Prioritize and schedule development projects and related training.
• Perform in a heterogeneous computing environment, including Mac OS X, Linux/UNIX, and Windows; use Linux/UNIX command-line tools and commands as necessary.
• Keep abreast of industry developments related to computing in general and open source development tools and techniques in particular.
• Work cooperatively with other IT team members to evaluate and develop system enhancements.
Special Assignments and Projects:
• Accept and manage the development and implementation of special projects, and other work-related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Actively participate as a member of the IT Division, including planning and coordinating IT work, suggesting and implementing initiatives, etc.
• Provide required support to other employees.
• Complies with all policies and procedures as set out in the AIDT Policy Manual.
• Plans daily/weekly work schedule.
• Maintains housekeeping to organizational standards.
• Interacts professionally with coworkers, general public, and others as required.
• Complies with AIDT policy regarding attendance.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of agile software engineering methods.
2. Knowledge of technical trends pertaining to new technologies.
3. Skill in use of Linux/UNIX command-line utilities.
4. Skill in debugging and problem-solving techniques.
5. Skill in designing intuitive, easy-to-use user interfaces.
6. Skill in comprehending technical literature and processes.
7. Ability to design, implement and maintain information systems.
8. Ability to learn and adapt quickly in a heterogeneous computer/network environment.
9. Ability to work well with end users and team members and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
10. Ability to interact professionally with staff, management, applicants/trainees, company representatives and the general public.
11. Ability to work independently with a minimum of supervision.
12. Ability to set and meet deadlines and handle multiple functions and projects concurrently.
13. Ability to follow established laws, policies and procedures.
14. Ability to work in a constant state of awareness.
15. Ability to function in an automated work environment.
16. Ability to work flexible hours based on program needs.
17. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the job.
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university,or equivalent experience in an appropriate area of specialization.
• Experience developing and maintaining web-based applications using modern programming languages and agile development techniques.
• Must have a valid Alabama driver’s license and meet minimum policy requirements to be insured to operate AIDT vehicles.
• Ruby on Rails experience highly preferred.
• Mobile application development experience is a plus.
Criminal Background Check
In accordance with AIDT policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a Criminal Background Check consent form and to submit a nonrefundable $22.75 payment for the cost of the criminal background check. (Note: $22.75 fee is based on possession of an Alabama Drivers License. The fee for the background check may be more or less if the driver’s license is not an Alabama license.) Permanent employment will be contingent upon the results of the criminal background check.
Salary and General
Initial salary placement will be based on experience and education applicable to the C3 salary schedule, within a range of $49,222 – $81,808. Paid monthly. Excellent benefits package included.
Resumes received after October 9, 2013, will not be considered for review. Interviews are by appointment only. If selected for an interview, applicants must travel at their own expense to the interview site. Male applicants between the ages of 18-26 must provide proof of Selective Service Registration when requested. Employment references and grade transcripts will be requested during the application process.
Email a PDF resume to the following email address:
AIDT is an equal opportunity employer. It is the official policy of AIDT that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, handicap, gender, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. AIDT will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. AIDT reserves the rights to withdraw, modify, or extend this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding of the position.
AIDT participates in E-Verify, a Federal law that requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.